Hello Readers! Thanks for following my blog. I hope you've been enjoying my writing and photos over the years. Don't worry, I'm going to keep blogging and shooting! I made some changes to the site last week and last night. Here is a quick rundown of what has changed:
- Error Page: I have updated my error page to actually be helpful, before it was worthless, but now when you land on it, you'll find it much more helpful.
- Side Bar: Added blog categories list, added full archives listing, removed login
- Comments: I have totally removed the comments section from this site. They were hard to use (almost impossible) and spambots spent all day trying to spam them, although they did actually fail, but still. I will be reintroducing comments when I release the next version of this site. If you want to comment on a post, email me and I'll update the post with your comment and a link back to you (link the old boingboing style)
- del.ico.us Links: As I'm sure you've noticed I've been automatically posting my links from del.ico.us every day. I hope you're enjoying this. Let me know through email either way.
- Image Layout: I've changed the layout of the image pages by simplifying the interface and moving the album information to below the image. I've also added a share this button.
- Blogs: I've added a date posted field as well as a share this button.
- ShareThis: I saw this post on laughing squid and decided to add that functionality to my site. You will find a ShareThis badge on every page now.
Let me know what you think!
So as you may or may not know, I have been recoding slacker from scratch. Slacker is the software that, along with phpreactor, powers all my sites including this one and junglescene. The whole thing is written in procedural php and the new rewrite which I have named dynamony, is completely object oriented. So far I have rewritten nearly every component of the backend system: the db abstraction class; the "slacker" base class which is a class that allows one to add/edit/update/delete from a database and provides the forms to do so along with limiting, sorting, searching by words or date; the blog class; the album class in which i used a much better tree algorithm that avoids the memory/processor intensive recursion i had used in the past; the ACL class; using Pear::Log for all error and debug logging; a comment class; a category class; a frontend controller system that loads requested classes after checking the ACLs; the signup class; image output class; the login/logout classes; the image class; the gallery remote class; the xml_rpc class; the dynamony class which allows me to create new classes within the web application instead of through a separate website; and today I created the forum class where I have seen my greatest decrease in load time nearly 10x faster than how the forums currently load (i tested it with several hundred thousand posts from junglescene.com)
The whole thing is really going to be leaps and bounds better than what I have now and going over my old code is really embarrassing. The amount of reused code was insane and made upkeep nearly impossible for one site let alone the dozens of sites that slacker powers. So far all the data is completely separated from the html/xml/csv that it will parsed using... I just use arrays of data and print_r() as my current output method which works great for prototyping. I have decided to completely program the backend before I even start any of the output classes. One important thing to me is to create rewrite rules and functions that will take the old links to content and forward them to the new content as not to break the thousands of links out there... It's a big project but once it is all done it will make my life so much easier.
I made some changes with the way that the gallery looks. I made the interface cleaner and changed the order of display of the image details. I also updated the tag creation in the images and log sections. I also fixed the way the comments are added in these sections. Finally I changed the RSS feed in the comments sections so that it only shows replies.